Bergamot & Lemon Curd
Bergamot & Lemon Curd, a jar of vitality and happiness. In celebration of Isfarkand Eau de Parfum.
Makes 2 jars of 650 grams
- 2 Bergamots, zest & juice
- 2 Lemons, zest & juice
- 100 grams of butter
- 1 cup of golden castor sugar
- 3 eggs plus one extra egg yolk
- In a large glass bowl, grate the zest from the fruits and squeeze the juice
- Add the sugar and the 100 grams of butter
- Cook gently in a bain-marie, stirring gently until the butter has melted. Take off the heat
- In another bowl whisk 3 eggs plus extra yolk. Beat until pale yellow and fluffy
- Add the eggs into the bain-marie mixture and return to the cooker. On a low heat stir occasionally for around 10-15 minutes. The mixture will start to thicken up
- Meanwhile, sterilize your glass jars and lids. Fill with boiling water for at least 10 minutes
- Once the mixture is smooth and thickened, remove from the heat
- Tip out the boiling water from the jars and fill whilst the jars are still warm
- Put the lid on and leave to cool. Once cooled, refrigerate
This recipe is bursting with vitamin C and tastes wonderful as a topping on yoghurt or spread on hot buttered toast. Sometimes, I just take a teaspoon into the jar for a little treat and pick-me-up.
I have also made this recipe using sugar-free alternatives found at health food stores, taste equally nice if you are watching your sugar content.